Proposal to Form a TRIUMF Alumni and Retirees Association (TARA)
Following discussions with TRIUMF management it is proposed to form a TRIUMF Alumni and Retirees Association (TARA). The purpose of creating such an organization is to expand the TRIUMF community by formally recognizing those who have worked at TRIUMF and have been a part of its success. TARA would serve as a resource of able-bodied volunteers, consultants, and mentors for TRIUMF and, in return, TRIUMF would extend certain employee benefits and privileges to members.
The mission of the TARA is:
- To foster a sense of community among the former employees of TRIUMF
- To collectively work with TRIUMF to maintain relevant and useful participation in current programs and activities; and
- To serve as a resource for TRIUMF.
- To have formerly been an employee, or an experimental user, or an associate in some other capacity, and
- To have spent at least 3 (three) years with TRIUMF
Membership should be voluntary although formal retirees will have automatic membership unless they decline.
Organization & Governance
The Association would be headed by an Executive Committee that will initially be composed of a President, an Executive Secretary, a Membership Secretary and two members at large, all elected by the members. There could also be a non-voting liaison representative from TRIUMF management and another representative acting jointly for the TRIUMF Employee Liaison Committees. A detailed constitution and By-Laws will be drawn up once the elected Executive is in place.
The Executive body is charged with:
- Overseeing TARA activities,
- Remaining in regular communication with TRIUMF and its management,
- Addressing inquiries from members, and
- Ensuring that the organization meets the needs of its members and TRIUMF.
Benefits to Members
TRIUMF would extend certain employee privileges and programs to members of TARA. The following benefits have been established:
- Acting as host for the association’s web site and membership database.
- Regular invitations to TRIUMF social events such as retirement and holiday parties, opening and commemorative ceremonies, annual events, curling, golf, fun-run, bowling, ski club, etc.
- Annual members’ meeting organized by the TARA Executive Committee with the support of TRIUMF.
- Continued participation, when possible, in discount programs through TRIUMF at places like Costco, Atlands, Lee Valley, Thrifty Car Rental, and so on..
- Access to TRIUMF House at the TRIUMF-internal rental rates when rooms are not required for TRIUMF business
Additional benefits are under development between TARA and TRIUMF such as access to UBC libraries, terms and conditions for using TRIUMF facilities or expertise at cost, and so on.
Benefits to TRIUMF
TRIUMF will receive benefits from the formation of TARA. The membership base will help define TRIUMF in the larger community and will serve as a resource for:
- Highly experienced guides for tours.
- Volunteers to give talks and presentations at schools, conventions, etc.
- A knowledge bank of mentors to voluntarily assist new hires, or provide technical expertise in problem solving.
- Volunteers to work at conferences.
The TARA will be supported by the TARA executive committee who will work closely with the TRIUMF Human Resources Department and the Communications Office.
A TARA website will be established. The main website will be accessible by the public with a secure link to the pages for members only. The website can be edited and developed by the TARA Executive Team. The web tools being deployed at TRIUMF would allow an executive member the ability to submit changes for publishing on the site. General membership will be able to update their personal profile and make submissions to the Executive Committee.
The database of members will be updated as applications are received.
The Executive Committee will be elected by secret ballot at the Annual General meeting (or by e-mail prior to the reunion if this can be arranged). The existing Executive Committee of TARA will look for potential executive committee members. TARA executive committee will meet sometime early in the following year and set the course of business for that year. On an interim basis the Chair/Acting President wll be selected by the Executive on a Pro-Tem basis
Executive Elected Dec/2010
Executive Elected Dec/2011
Executive Elected Dec/2012