Undergraduate Research Awards
|click here for a printable PDF copy of the poster|
TRIUMF Summer Research Awards for Canadian Undergraduate Students
TRIUMF is Canada's National Laboratory for Particle and Nuclear Physics, located on the campus of the University of British Columbia. Our 500 MeV cyclotron and smaller isotope production cyclotrons support a diverse program of world class research in particle physics, nuclear physics and chemistry (including nuclear astrophysics), condensed matter and materials research, and life sciences. In addition, TRIUMF acts as an infrastructure lab for international collaborations in subatomic physics at European laboratories such as CERN and DESY, American laboratories such as Brookhaven, SLAC, and JLab, the Japanese laboratory KEK, and other laboratories around the world.
TRIUMF has a policy to give Canadian undergraduate students the opportunity to experience the excitement of research at a National Laboratory such as TRIUMF. In part to fulfill this policy, we sponsor up to 5 scholarships every year for one student from each of the 5 regions of Canada (Atlantic Provinces, Quebec, Ontario, Prairie Provinces, British Columbia)1 at TRIUMF. The present competition for the Summer 2015 awards (May to August 2015) has an application deadline of January 22, 2015.
- Salaries will be in the range $1900 to $2700 per month, depending on work experience and the number of academic terms completed.
- Airfare (Airfare not applicable for Greater Vancouver, Fraser River Valley, and Vancouver Island institutions. Ferry and car mileage paid for Vancouver Island institutions) return from the home institution will be paid by TRIUMF.
- Students will receive a $2000 scholarship on the satisfactory completion of a report on their research.
- There are weekly student seminars and lectures given by leading Scientists in their field.
- Social activities are organized by the 40 undergraduates TRIUMF usually has on site each summer.
- Vancouver and its environs is a world-famous vacation destination, with much to offer students during their non-working hours and weekends.
Possible areas or research projects that may be available include:
- High-energy experiment and analysis
- Decays of the muon and pion
- Life Sciences with radioisotopes
- Nuclear/Particle Theory
- Fundamental symmetry with beta decays, atom and ion traps, and laser spectroscopy
- Neutrino oscillation
- Nuclear astrophysics and exotic nuclear properties
- Accelerator Physics
- Materials Science with muon and beta decay
- You must apply to any posted student job that you are interested in. Jobs will be posted around Jan 15, 2015.
- You must be enrolled at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution and be legally entitled to work in Canada.2
- You must be currently enrolled in your second (first in Quebec), or higher, year of studies in the physical sciences or engineering.
- You must have achieved high academic standing;
- You must also send in the following documents:
- a completed application form in pdf format, with the document name being "yourlastname.pdf"
- a letter of recommendation from your university department chair. TRIUMF will also accept a letter from another faculty member who may know the student better. This is to aid in cases where the chair does not know the applicant directly. This letter can be sent electronically as long as it comes from the referee.
This material must be received by January 22, 2015.
Application form and reference letter must be sent to:
email@example.com in pdf format
We will also accept paper copies sent to:
c/o Summer Scholarship Program
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, B. C.
Canada V6T 2A3
For more information, contact:
Ms Dana Giasson
4004 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, B. C. V6T 2A3
phone: (604) 222-7565 fax: (604) 222-1074
Electronic reference letters will be accepted, provided:
- Reference letters are emailed by the department chair or facutly member, and must clearly indicate the sender as being that person; any sent by the applicant or another proxy will not be accepted. Reference letters sent as PDF documents, Word documents, or as plain-text messages are acceptable.
Scholarship winners will be notified by email around the end of February, 2015.
Winners will be selected from all applicants that are successful in securing one of the posted summer positions.
- TRIUMF reserves the right to not award a scholarship if it is deemed that there are no qualified candidates from one or more of the regions.
- These jobs are available to eligible students from an accredited post secondary institution in Canada. To be eligible, the student must be a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident. Foreign students may apply, provided they have temporary resident status, where required, and have a valid work permit.
- The TRIUMF Summer Research Award cannot be awarded to past winners of the TRIUMF Summer Research Award