TRIUMF, UBC, and SFU are proud to present the 2017 Saturday morning lecture series on Frontiers of Modern Physics. These free lectures are at a level appropriate for high school students and members of the general public. Everyone is welcome. There is no charge for admittance, however please register for tickets below.
Parallel lecture series will be held at TRIUMF on the UBC South Campus, and at SFU Surrey Campus. Links to maps of the various locations are at the bottom of this page.
1. View the schedule below.
2. Register through the EventBrite page.
*Double check the location for each lecture. Some lectures are being repeated on different dates at these locations, but some are not - please look carefully to note one-time-only lectures.
- Nov 18, 2017 TRIUMF Auditorium
- Clean energy, everywhere, forever: Unlocking fusion energy with new technologies (Michel Laberge, General Fusion)
- Testing Einstein’s special relativity with clocks moving near the speed of light (Gerald Gwinner, U of Manitoba)
- Dec 2, 2017 SFU Surrey (Rm. 2740)
- Searching for extragalactic radio flashes with digital telescopes (Kiyoshi Masui, UBC)
- Deep learning the structure of DNA inside cells (Eldon Emberly, SFU)
Download the poster here.
All lectures start on Saturday mornings at 10:00am and 11:15am, unless noted otherwise above. Parking will be available in the TRIUMF parking lot and SFU Surrey.
For the SFU Surrey site (located just south of the Surrey Central Skytrain station): Maps and directions to SFU Surrey. Sessions will be in the Podium (Podium Map). They will take place in room 2740 except on November 30th when they will be in the Galleria room 5140 (Galleria Map).
- Presentation Files from Previous Lctures here.
- November 2005 to 2013: with abstracts and PDFs of the lecture material
- Check out our Vimeo channel to see some full-length TRIUMF public lectures.
While we encourage all interested students to attend, we ask that teachers do not make the lectures mandatory for their classes. We will not be signing attendance forms for students. If anyone has questions or concerns about this, please contact our student coordinator Dana Giasson.
Please contact email@example.com