The Management Information Systems group is responsible for computing support in the following areas:
1. Application development for TRIUMF's management and operations
The MIS group has developed the following major applications:
- Identity Management
- Science Division Experiments Management
- Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- Work Request Management
- Conference and Event Registration Management
- Custom ERP applications for Finance, Project Management, Procurement, Stores, and Cost Centres (some to be migrated to Agresso, the remainder to be redeveloped and integrated via web services)
These applications continue to be enhanced as requirements change.
Major future applications under development include:
- Fault Reporting (integrating with Work Request Management)
- Dosimetry Tracking and Reporting
- Training Tracking and Management (integrating with Human Resources)
Technical details on the application development environment are available here.
2. Technical support for Agresso
TRIUMF is in the process of implementing a new ERP system - Agresso. The MIS group is responsible for installation and management of the ERP application and database servers, as well as integration with TRIUMF's other applications via web services. The Agresso ERP will be replacing some - but not all - the custom ERP applications previously developed at TRIUMF.
3. Support for the public website and other web infrastructure
TRIUMF's main website (which serves both public and intranet purposes) is implemented using the Drupal CMS. While content is largely controlled and managed by the Communications Group, the MIS group is responsible for maintaining the middleware and configuration of this site, with contracted assistance from AffinityBridge Consulting.
In addition to the main website, the MIS group supports a MediaWiki infrastructure that contains many separate wiki instances for various other TRIUMF groups.
The MIS group also supports a small number of PHP-based applications (some embedded within the Drupal environment), as well as IBM Net.Data applications that run on the IBM i server.
4. Database administration and support
MIS uses several database servers to support the above services. The primary database for applications is IBM DB/2 running on an IBM i server. MS-SQL Server is used by the Agresso ERP system, and MySQL is used for the public Drupal website, for other software packages (Jira, Mediawiki, etc.), and also for small custom web applications.
The MIS group manages all these servers, including database design for applications.