TRIUMF will ensure that all employees are covered by the Workers' Compensation Board (WCB).
Benefits under the WCB include:
a) compensation for loss of earnings for temporary or permanent disability due to a work related accident or illness.
b) compensation in the form of a lump sum or survivor's pension (as applicable) to the beneficiary of an employee whose death results from an accident which occurs while engaged in ones duties, or on TRIUMF's premises.
c) compensation in the form of a lump sum or survivor's pension (as applicable) to the beneficiary of an employee whose death is directly related to an occupational disease.
d) reimbursement for related medical expenses resulting from an approved claim for temporary or permanent disability.
Reporting of all injuries or accidents is required by WCB legislation, and protects the employee's right to compensation for on-the-job injuries. Failure to do so may negate a claim.
1) It is the responsibility of every employee to report all injuries or accidents to a TRIUMF First Aid Attendant, regardless of severity, or whether or not treatment is required.
2) It is the responsibility of the attending First Aid Attendant to:
- record all injuries in the Treatment Record book
- complete the WCB form 7-A for all injuries requiring further medical care, and submit to Human Resources for further processing.
3) It is the responsibility of the Human Resource Department to subsequently complete the WCB form 7 and forward it, along with the WCB form 7-A, to the WCB claims office to establish a claim.