You are here

Importing Goods to Canada


In order to import goods from outside of Canada to TRIUMF and qualify for a SERO and duty free and tax (GST) free status, the following conditions must be met:

  1. The “expedition” must be conducted or sponsored by a scientific or cultural organization, an institution of learning or a foreign government.
  2. The participants in which must be non-residents of Canada.
  3. The sponsors of which have undertaken to make available to the Government of Canada all information obtained in Canada as a result of the expedition's field studies.
  4. A certificate statement letter, endorsed by an authorized representative of the expedition, must be presented and kept on record.


Steps for Importing

If the equipment you plan to import to TRIUMF meet the above conditions proceed to the next step. If you are not sure, please  contact us and we will assess your situation and determine the best method to import your goods into Canada.

  1. You will need to write a Commercial Invoice.  
  2. If your organization does NOT have a business number , you will need to complete the Business Number Application form.
  3. You will need to comple a  Short Term Power of Attorney  which is only valid for one shipment. These forms authorize TRIUMF’s Canadian customs broker,Thompson, Aher & Co. Ltd. to clear your goods into Canada on your behalf.
  4. You will need to write an endorsed certificate statement letter on your institution’s letterhead stating the goods you are importing into Canada meet the criteria to quality for the Scientific Expeditions Remission Order (SERO) as noted above.
  5. Once you have completed these steps forward this information to the above noted contacts.
  6. When you ship your goods please notify us with the name of the carrier and the waybill/tracking number. With this information we will be able to track your shipment and clear the goods into Canada without delay.


Other Factors

Other important factors regarding Scientific Expeditions Remission Orders that users must keep in mind:

  1. The maximum length of time the goods may remain in Canada is 18 months, although it should be noted, we may be able to request an extension after that time from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). There is no guarantee that your request will be granted. If your request is denied and you don’t export your goods out of Canada you will be required to pay the applicable duties and taxes.
  2. Users will have to be cautioned not to remove goods from TRIUMF/Canada even though the goods belong to them, without the knowledge of TRIUMF and Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd. before hand.


Failure to comply with these procedures could result in penalties, which will be charged to your TRIUMF account.