- There is no cost to register for or participate in the 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk. All eligible entrants must be over 18, be an individual and abide by the terms and conditions.
- Participants in the 2015 TRIUMF Photowalk, as well as TRIUMF employees, students, users, and their families, are not eligible for the 2018 event.
- The photowalk is open to amateur and professional photographers.
- Advanced registration is required for entry into the 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk. Only photographers who have applied and received a confirmation email are permitted to participate.
- Confirmed participants must check-in to TRIUMF main reception no later than 9:50AM PTon July 26th, 2018. Otherwise, they forfeit their participaton in the 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk.
- When you arrive at TRIUMF on July 26, you must fill out and sign a release form if you wish to participate in the Photowalk.
- The day will begin with a safety briefing at 10:00AM PT. If you are not present for the safety briefing, you WILL NOT be allowed to participate in the Photowalk.
- If you require extra assistance to participate in the 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk, please let us know in advance. We will make every attempt to accommodate you.
Photo Submissions for 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk Contest
- Participants are asked to submit five (5) photos taken during the 2018 TRIUMF Photowalk on July 26th, 2018 from 10:00AM-12:00PM. All photographs entered into the competition must have been taken during the officially organised photowalk event ONLY.
- Participating photographers can take as many pictures as they wish during their photowalk visit, but will only be able to submit a maximum of five photos (minimum resolution 5MB – see additional photo submission guidelines below) for the competition which subsequently TRIUMF is able to use freely as it wishes with an appropriate credit.
- Photographers can submit as many additional pictures (minimum resolution 5MB) to TRIUMF as they wish and the best of these will be used on TRIUMF’s Flickr account and promotional materials.
- Photos must be submitted online in digital format (via FTP, Dropbox, etc.) with access details confirmed by email@example.com by 3:00PM PT on July 30th, 2018. No images will be accepted after this time. No hard copy prints will be accepted for judging. All images must be submitted electronically. Print submissions will not be accepted.
- Files can be colour or grayscale. Single images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, improve sharpening, for colour correction and brightness and contrast adjustment but not manipulated. The TRIUMF judging panel reserve the right to exclude
- any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity. No montages or artificially framed entries will be accepted.
- Entrants may NOT include their own or any other name in the image (i.e., as a watermark) which would not otherwise be in the image. Any image that includes such a name will not be eligible for the competition.
- File format must be JPEG, with file size not to exceed 20 MB for each image (minimum 5MB per image). We require at least 2,500 pixels in the long dimension.
Note: please save high-resolution versions of your images – you may receive requests to publish in a print publication!
- Recommended colour space: sRGB.
- Files must be named in the following way: last name of photographer, followed by an underscore, followed by the first name, followed by an underscore, followed by a two-digit sequence number starting with 01. Examples for photographer Jane Smith: smith_jane_01, smith_jane_02, etc.
- While not mandatory, participants are asked to provide a title (100 characters max) and brief description (250 characters max) `for each photo – get creative! These can be included in a Word (doc or doc.x) or text file submitted along with your photos.
- Create a Word or text file with your contact information, named in one of the following ways: smith_jane_contact.doc (or doc.x) or smith_jane_contact.txt. Please include your name, address and daytime phone number.
- All submitted files must be placed in a single folder titled with the photographer’s last name followed by an underscore and the first name. Example: smith_jane.
- Photographers are responsible for all expenses and logistics for travel, accommodation, and any other costs associated with entry into 2018 TRIUMF’s Photowalk.
- The use of up to two cameras and one lens/carrying bag will be allowed. The carrying bag must be carry-able; rolling cases for photo equipment will not be allowed.
- Each photographer must be able to carry all their photo equipment at once and carry all personal items in one trip. You may not bring and use an assistant, unless you require assistance due to a disability.
- Photographers will not be allowed to plug in any electrical devices during the Photowalk. Make sure you have enough charged batteries to last the entire event (no more than two hours). The use of long cords (flash cords, sync cables, camera releases) that could be a tripping hazard will not be allowed.
- Climbing on TRIUMF equipment or apparatus is prohibited and will result in immediate disqualification and removal from the lab. This includes climbing on ladders, chairs, railings, etc.
- Participants are encouraged to explore the lab in the vicinity surrounding the tour route at the discretion of the tour guide.
- Do not touch, rearrange, or otherwise alter objects or items at the lab without explicit verbal consent from your guide. Do not open cabinets or drawers, and do not try to open doors that are not along the tour route.
- Listen to your tour guide and keep up with the tour group.
- Don’t hesitate to request an extra minute or two to capture your shot, but be thoughtful about your fellow photographers, the tour guide, and the lab community.
- Ask questions, be safe, have fun!
Safety at TRIUMF
TRIUMF is an active working physics laboratory. Please keep this in mind as you tour the site.
- Photographers must review TRIUMF’s safety guidelines for visitors, here, before arriving at the lab.
- The Photowalk will begin with a safety briefing. Participants must be present for the briefing, and anyone who is not present will not be allowed to participate in the Photowalk. Participants must adhere to all TRIUMF safety rules and instructions given and stay with their Photowalk guides at all times.
- Photographers must wear closed-toed shoes without high heels on the day of the Photowalk.
- The tour may include stairs, and all entrants must be capable of climbing them safely while carrying their camera and any gear or personal items
- Save where they are due to the organizer's malice or gross negligence, TRIUMF does not accept liability for damages or other harm suffered by entrants as a result of their participation in the contest.
Legal and Copyright
TRIUMF reserves the right to use the images you submit for educational or promotional purposes, including for print and display (with appropriate credit). On the day of the Photowalk, all photographers must fill out and sign a photo release form to participate in the event and submit photos to the Photowalk photo contest.
- Entering the contest constitutes an agreement to the terms and conditions stated in these Rules and Regulations.
- TRIUMF reserves the right of final judgment concerning items not expressly stated in these rules and regulations
- Entries and the persons depicted therein are restricted to works for which the entrant holds the copyright or for the use of which the entrant has received the prior permission of the right holder.
- All entries must be the original work of the participant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. Participants must hold all applicable rights to the final image, including any retouching or other image processing.
- Participants must be the sole owner of the copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people featured in the entries. Further, participants must not have breached any laws when taking their photographs.
- Participants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit. By entering the competition, all participants grant to TRIUMF the permission to publish and exhibit their photographs within any media in relation to the promotion of TRIUMF and the Global Physics Photowalk. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
- Participants whose photographs are one of the finalists also agree to take part in any post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include the photographers' names.
- Participants are responsible for the resolution of any legal issues arising from their works and agree to pay any costs thereby incurred.
- TRIUMF reserves the right to disallow entries that depict brand logos or other intellectual property, whether on signs or posters or in other forms or that in its judgment are harmful to the public order, violate standards of decency or are contrary to the goals of the contest.
- Please note that TRIUMF may elect to suspend or postpone receipt of any or all entries if in its judgment the contest cannot be run smoothly, securely or without affecting the fairness of the judging due to circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to network failure, computer viruses or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Participants agree to fully indemnify the organizer and accept all responsibility for any third-party complaints or objections concerning copyright or other intellectual property rights infringement or damages arising from the works submitted.
- TRIUMF reserves the right to publish entries to its public social networking service accounts throughout the submission period in order to publicize the contest. Such publication does not guarantee an award of any kind.
- TRIUMF reserves the right to publish all entries onto websites and social networking service accounts related to the contest after the first round of judging. Some entries may be cropped for publication.
- With the objective of publicizing the contest and enriching the general science and image-making culture, the organizer reserves in perpetuity the non-exclusive right to publish, reproduce, make public, publicly transmit, display, print, distribute and screen winning entries with the credit titles on websites and public social networking service accounts, in photo exhibitions, camera-related events, exhibitions and in the facilities managed or organized by the subsidiaries or affiliates of TRIUMF and local agents authorized by the organizer (collectively the "organizer, etc." including the organizer) without further compensation to or the additional prior consent of the winners.
- TRIUMF and the Global Physics Photowalk will display the names of the winners and the titles of the winning entries on contest-related websites and public social networking service accounts, at exhibitions, and in other locations where the works are shown.
- TRIUMF and the Global Physics Photowalk may: display the winning entries in whole or in part on websites or public social networking service accounts under its administration, with the addition of graphical effects, sound effects or music; and employ the winning entries in whole or in part in the creation of posters, tickets and pamphlets promoting photo exhibitions and other events. The winners agree not to exercise moral rights to works so used.
- Entries that in the judgment of the organizer do not conform to these Rules and Regulations will be disqualified. Entrants will not be notified in this event.
- In the event that a winner is found to be disqualified after a prize is awarded, the award may be revoked
- TRIUMF reserves the right to exclude entrants for violating any of the terms and conditions listed above.
Use of Personal Information
- TRIUMF will only use personal details for the purposes of administering the competition. Personal information provided by participants may be used as required to:
- notify winners of the results
- provide entrants with information about the contest
- correspond with entrants about their submissions
- announce the winning entries
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- The organizer may disclose to judges, and to third parties overseeing the contest, such personal information as may be required for contest management. In providing personal information for this purpose, the organizer assumes responsibility for the appropriate oversight of personal information through non-disclosure agreements and other measures.
- Note that regardless of the entrant's country of residence, data provided in a submission (image data of works and personal information) may be stored in Canada or another country at the discretion of the organizer.
- On websites, in publications or otherwise pertaining to the contest, the names of the winners will appear with the winning entries, and entrants' names may also be used to establish their identity in the event that they request updates to their addresses or other personal information. Any notifications and inquiries for these purposes will come from the TRIUMF Strategic Communications Office.
For questions or more information, please contact Stu Shepherd at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.222.7656