TRIUMF is pleased to announce our participation in The Learning Partnership’s national Take Our Kids to Work™ day on Wednesday, November 14, 2018.
Take Our Kids to Work is The Learning Partnership’s flagship initiative and one of its most popular programs. On Wednesday, November 4, 2018, more than 200,000 Grade 9 students from across Canada will experience a day in the life of an adult – at work.
This program is an annual, nationwide program that helps parents, employers and volunteers host Grade 9 students at their workplaces.
The goals of Take Our Kids to Work are to help students:
- understand the importance of staying in school
- develop an appreciation for their parents’ careers
- start exploring career options in a practical way
- gain a better understanding of just how many career choices are open to them
Research suggests that today’s students will have multiple careers. They’ll need the ability to master new technologies, new skills and changing social and organizational systems. Tomorrow’s economy will require people to be adaptable, creative, resilient and independent thinkers. The program helps young people understand the realities of working life and begin exploring and planning their future career paths. The more informed students are, the more informed their decisions.
The first Take Our Kids to Work day took place in 1994 in the Greater Toronto Area. Now it’s a multifaceted experiential learning program available in every province and territory. More than 1.7 million students have participated since the program began and every year, more than 75,000 employers participate.
We hope you’ll take part by bringing your Grade 9 student to work with you that day. If you’re planning to participate, please complete this Google form https://goo.gl/forms/Tl82zy03MXGXTfWp1 by November 7, 2018.
To help make this day a real success, speak with your child and ask what he or she would like to learn about that day. We’d like to make sure it’s an event students will enjoy and learn from. All comments are welcome.
We will have a short introduction in the morning, followed by a tour of TRIUMF - we are working on some fun things for them to see on the tour. After that, your student will spend the day with you. Students will be covered under WCB while participating in the Take Our Kids to Work day.
Here are some tips for making your Take Our Kids to Work day a great event in your department:
- Show, don’t tell – engage students by giving them a hands-on experience
- When you’re explaining roles and processes, use plain language – avoid industry jargon
- If you can’t answer a particular question, find a colleague who can
- Follow safety procedures – the day should be an enjoyable, safe experience for everyone
- Learn from students as much as they learn from you … have fun!
For more information about the Program visit The Learning Partnership's website.