I am writing to you on behalf of TRIUMF’s Board of Management to advise you on the initial process steps for the Director of TRIUMF search.
There are two action items, which are important that I share with you:
1) The TRIUMF Board will engage with an International Executive Search firm to support us in developing the global search strategy and selection process. I will provide more updates on this in the coming weeks.
2) The immediate establishment of the Search Committee chaired by me that will include all members of the TRIUMF Board’s Executive Committee (EC) plus representatives of major stake-holder groups as noted below.
The Search Committee will include members in the following roles:
- Chair (Digvir Jayas, Board Chair / VP Research & International, University of Manitoba)
- EC (Vivek Goel, Board Vice Chair / Special Advisor to the President & Provost, University of Toronto)
- EC (Walter Dixon, Chair, Finance Committee / VP Research & Innovation, University of Calgary)
- EC (Wendy Taylor, Chair Personnel Committee / Professor, Physics & Astronomy, York University)
- EC (Rob Thompson, Chair, Safety & Security Committee / Associate VP Research, University of Calgary)
- UBC (Gail Murphy, Board member, VP Research UBC)
- TRIUMF Associate Laboratory Director (by nomination)
- TRIUMF Research Scientist representative (by nomination)
- TRIUMF Technical and Administrative Staff representative (by nomination)
- TRIUMF Users Community (by nomination)
- NRC Representative (Observer)
- Jim Hanlon (Secretary to the Search Committee)
- Ian Doyle (Research Person to the Search Committee)
In the coming week I will be contacting the leaders of the major stake-holder groups requesting their nomination to participate on the Search Committee.
I am committed to maintaining a transparent process and will keep you advised of developments as they occur. We will consult widely for input into the development of position profile and required candidate qualifications, which will guide the search committee in selecting the best possible Director for TRIUMF.
I hope to have the Search Committee confirmed by September 4th.
Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Chair of the TRIUMF Board of Management and Vice-President, Research and International, University of Manitoba
August 24, 2020