You are here

Before Your Visit to TRIUMF

Please note that the requirements for short-term visitors (under 6 months) have changed. Most people need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. Please visit the Government of Canada website to determine which type of documentation you will need. 

If you have any questions about work permits, visas, invitation letters, etc and how they pertain to TRIUMF visitors, please contact our human resources department

Invitation Letter from TRIUMF

From within Canada

contact your TRIUMF host for details of paperwork required.

From outside of Canada

Many users coming to the TRIUMF facility are Foreign Nationals and as such they will require special paperwork and documents which are outlined in the following pages. In most cases, these visitors will receive a letter of invitation from their TRIUMF contact/host. The invitation letter is of particular importance for those foreign visitors requiring a work permit or temporary entry visa. If this is the case, the letter must accompany applications made abroad, and may also be requested by an immigration officer at the port of entry.

The first step in planning a visit to TRIUMF from outside of Canada is to request a letter of invitation. This will be sent to you by the appropriate Director, Research Scientist or Group Leader you are collaborating with. 

Obtaining Appropriate Immigration Documents

If you are a foreign national coming to TRIUMF you may require a visitor visa or eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization).  You can determine your requirements by visiting

The Canadian Immigration web site provides information on the application procedure for visitor visas and eTAs.

Depending on the nature and length of your visit, you may also require a work permit.  TRIUMF will advise if this is required and will include the relevant information in your invitation letter. You can find information on the application procedure by visiting

Medical/Travel Insurance

For visitors seeking travel insurance for unexpected medical emergencies, it is suggested to start the search for coverage here and here.   TRIUMF does not offer insurance directly as a service.


PLEASE NOTE: Pacemaker Warning 

Visitors to TRIUMF who wear pacemakers or other medical implant devices are advised to avoid any high magnetic field environments until they check with the manufacturer of their specific device to see if it is affected by high magnetic fields. The TRIUMF First Aid Program requires that visitors carry a card in their wallet or wear a medical bracelet to alert our designated first aid attendants or outside medical personnel of their medical condition and the fact they wear a pacemaker. TRIUMF Occupational Health and Safety personnel are able to map out restricted areas if required.


Arranging Accomodation

Visitors to TRIUMF are welcome to stay at TRIUMF House, which is TRIUMF's own guest house located less than 2 kms from the laboratory. Our Guesthouse is intended for short stays only, so if you require long term accommodation or if you are unable to stay at TRIUMF House for any other reason, there are other options that may be available to you.


Shipping Equipment to TRIUMF

If shipping within Canada, please address your equipment or packages to your TRIUMF Host/Contact at:

Attention: (put name here)

6095 Nurseries Road
Vancouver, BC  V6T 2A3

Information for shipping from outside Canada