Retired from TRIUMF? Be sure you are familiar with the following information on the retirement health benefits. Your TRIUMF Retiree Benefit Plan Administrator can help you with any questions you may have.
You are not required to enroll in all three of the components, however if you choose to enroll in the extended health plan, you must ensure that you have MSP coverage. MSP coverage can be through TRIUMF’s Retiree Group Plan, directly with MSP or with a spouse’s group plan.
- Individuals are eligible to enroll upon retiring from TRIUMF, or if authorized under an Emeritus agreement from an affiliated institution. You are eligible for retiree coverage the day after coverage terminates under TRIUMF or other private plan for active employees provided that you apply for benefits within 31 days from your date of eligibility.
- You must have current extended health/dental benefits through TRIUMF or another plan.
- Eligible dependants are a spouse (as defined by provincial legislation) and/or dependant children up to age 19, or age 25 if in full-time attendance at a school or university. Your dependants become eligible for coverage on the date you become eligible or the date they first become your dependant, whichever is later. You must apply for coverage for yourself in order for your dependants to eligible.
- If you have extended health and or dental coverage through a spousal or private plan and do not join the Retiree Benefit Plan at the time of your eligibility, you are eligible to apply for future coverage through TRIUMF within 31 days of the other coverage terminating. In this case, a Retiree Benefit Plan Election form must be completed at the time of leaving TRIUMF.
- If you do not join the Retiree Benefit Plan at the time of your eligibility, you are not eligible to apply for future coverage through TRIUMF unless you have similar coverage through a spousal or private plan. You would be eligible to apply for future coverage through TRIUMF within 31 days of the other coverage terminating. In this case, a Retiree Benefit Plan Election form must be completed at the time of leaving TRIUMF.
This is a separate group benefit plan that is independent of the Sun Life benefits you had as a TRIUMF employee; therefore application forms need to be completed if you choose to enroll in any of the Retiree Benefit Plan components.
If you are already enrolled in the Pacific Blue Cross Extended Health Plan:
TRIUMF Alumni and Retiree Association (TARA)
The TRIUMF Alumni and Retirees Association (TARA), was formed in 2009 as a means of expanding the TRIUMF community by formally recognizing those who have worked at TRIUMF and have been part of its success.
The TARA website has been designed not only to facilitate membership application, but to allow members to stay in contact with each other, to view membership benefits, to apply for volunteer opportunities at TRIUMF, to preview event calendars, register for events, and to keep up-to-date on TRIUMF's initiatives and successes.
For retiring employees, the minumum criterion for membership in TARA is to have spent at least three years with TRIUMF.