The following are commonly asked questions about applying to, and working at, TRIUMF.
►About Working at TRIUMF
- What types of positions are available at TRIUMF?
- Are all advertised TRIUMF positions located at the research facility in Vancouver?
- Is TRIUMF an equal opportunity employer?
- What English language skill level is required to work at TRIUMF?
- Does TRIUMF provide on-the-job training?
- Do I need specialized training?
- Do I need radiation safety training?
- Does TRIUMF have a day care facility?
- Can I volunteer at TRIUMF?
►Employment Opportunities at TRIUMF
- Where do I look for job postings with TRIUMF?
- I am not a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident. Can I still apply for a position with TRIUMF?
- What opportunities are available for students at TRIUMF?
- What opportunities are available for postdocs at TRIUMF?
►The Application Process
- Do I have to complete the Employment Application form?
- What should be included in my application package?
- What should I include in my cover letter?
- Does TRIUMF require employment references?
- How should letters of reference be formatted and submitted?
- How do I submit my job application?
- How do I know if my application package was received?
- How long does it take for a position to be filled?
- Will I be notified of the final status of my application?
- If I am unsuccessful in my application for a position, will I automatically be considered for other similar jobs?
About Working at TRIUMF
TRIUMF hires qualified applicants to fill professional and technical positions in research, engineering, administration, scientific computing, information technology, trades and semi-skilled trades. TRIUMF also has a comprehensive annual student hiring program for both graduate and undergraduate levels.
Want to learn more about these positions? Check out our Career Profiles online!
Generally speaking, yes. The rare exception to this would be temporary grant funded research positions associated with international collaborations in countries such as Japan, the United States, or Switzerland.
Yes, TRIUMF encourages applicants from all walks of life, regardless of gender, and including those from visible minority groups or those challenged with disabilities.
Generally, employees and students are expected to have a basic working knowledge of the English language. Skilled and managerial positions require fluency in English.
Many of TRIUMF's positions are very unique to our organization and in some cases require either structured or informal on-the-job training.
There are a number of positions at TRIUMF requiring specialized job-specific training, and our advertisements will reflect the skills and training requirements accordingly.
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission holds TRIUMF's operating license, and as such, TRIUMF has a very strict and comprehensive safety training program. All employees of TRIUMF are required to watch an online safety video prior to employment. For those employees being hired into a new position which may require them to work in areas where radiation may exist, an in-house radiation safety course is provided which will lead to a TRIUMF designation of Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW).
No, TRIUMF does not have a day care facility. There are, however, day care facilities located on the UBC campus that TRIUMF employees are eligible to apply for and be put on a waiting list for future space availability.
TRIUMF's administrative regulations do not allow for random volunteer work. We do, however, offer formalized volunteer work related to a student training program, job shadowing, or intern work experience requirements. In this case, volunteers may come to TRIUMF for short periods of time provided they have a waiver of liability from their school or other sponsoring institution.
Employment Opportunities at TRIUMF
You can also receive notifications about new job opportunities by subscribing to TRIUMF's employment opportunities mailing list. To subscribe, or to change your existing subscription options, please go to: http://lists.triumf.ca/mailman/listinfo/employment-opportunities/
While preference is given to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, in some, but not all instances, TRIUMF recruits internationally for specialized positions where it is perceived unlikely to find a Canadian or Permanent Resident to fill the position. If you want to work in Canada, you must understand the following important information:
- If you apply, TRIUMF determines if you are eligible. If so, TRIUMF may need to get a labour market impact assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) in order to confirm that it can fill the job with a foreign worker.
- To work in Canada, you must meet the general requirements for entering the country and for staying here, in addition to those for getting a work permit. This means you may need a temporary resident visa, depending on what country you are from.
- A work permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently or to accept a permanent position. To live here permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as skilled worker.
- If you want your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children to come with you to Canada, they must apply to do so.
If you are already in Canada with a valid open work permit, you are eligible to apply for any position at TRIUMF; however, TRIUMF cannot offer you a permanent position. Any offer would be on a term basis, tied to the expiry date of your work permit. Ongoing employment would be conditional upon your applying for permanent resident status.
Are you eligible to come to Canada? Find out now using Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Come to Canada application, an interactive web tool for prospective immigrants and visitors.
TRIUMF provides employment opportunities for college and university students throughout the year. FOr more information, please see the
TRIUMF has a number of grant funded science projects requiring postdoctoral researchers. On average, we employ about 40 postdocs per year. Our postdocs are normally hired for a one, two, or three year term. Want to learn more about these positions? Check out our Postdoctoral Research Fellow Career Profile. Open postdoctoral positions are posted to TRIUMF's Current Employment Opportunities page.
The Application Process
Yes, you must submit a completed Employment Application form (PDF) along with your cover letter and resume in order for your application to be considered.
For every position you apply for, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Employment Application form (PDF)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (resume)
- Other info as specified in the job advertisement (i.e. list of publications, references, etc.)
Your cover letter is important because it helps direct your application to the appropriate hiring committee, and, more importantly, it serves as TRIUMF's first impression of you. Your cover letter should include:
- The job competition number and job title of the position you are applying for
- What interested you about TRIUMF and the position
- Your specific qualifications and training as they relate to the position
- Your approximate salary expectations
- Your availability/start date
- How best to contact you during the day
Typically, three (3) letters or names of references are required. However, please refer to the specific job posting to which you are applying for details regarding references as they do change depending on the position. In cases where references are not obtained, TRIUMF has a probationary period to determine suitability for the position.
Letters of reference should be composed on letterhead and include the job competition number in the subject line and the signature of the reference at the bottom. Please note that letters of reference received without a signature will not be accepted.
Letters of reference can be e-mailed directly to TRIUMF Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org - please indicate the competition number in the e-mail subject line.
TRIUMF prefers electronic submissions of applications.
Via e-mail (preferred): email@example.com
If submitting by e-mail, the subject line should indicate the competition number and all attached documents must be submitted in one of the following formats:
- Word Document
- Plain Text
If you are experiencing difficulties in submitting your application electronically, we will accept applications as follows:
- Via Fax: 604.222.1074
If submitting by fax, please indicate the job competition number you are applying for on the cover page of your fax
- Via Mail:
TRIUMF Human Resources; Competition No:
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Canada, V6T 2A3
All applicants will be sent an e-mail confirmation indicating that their application packages have been received. If you have not received an e-mail within one week, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
On average, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to fill a position, from the initial time of job posting to the presentation of a formal offer to the selected candidate.
Yes, TRIUMF notifies every applicant of the final status of their application. Please note, however, that TRIUMF Human Resources receives numerous applications every day and works with a variety of hiring committee, each with their own individual recruitment timetable; therefore, it can take up to a month for applications to be reviewed and status notifications sent out to each applicant. We know that this can be challenging for applicants and we thank you in advance for your patience.
No, if you are interested in another job vacancy, you will need to resubmit an application.