TRIUMF is preparing a 20-year Vision to project TRIUMF’s main activities for the period until ~2042, as well as the need for new facilities and infrastructure to service these activities.
This Vision will be prepared with the input of numerous stakeholder groups, including TRIUMF staff, Member Universities, the National Research Council (NRC), national and international user communities, and private and public sector partners. The TRIUMF 20-year Vision will be a long-term, guiding document which will provide a framework for the development of the next 5-year Strategic Plan 2025-2030. The 20-year Vision will be refreshed on a regular basis with a rolling 20-year perspective in mind (for example, the Vision could be revisited at the beginning of each new 5-year funding period). Each major initiative or development will have to be considered on its own merits and in the context of current circumstances at that time.The TRIUMF 20-year Vision has several major functions:
- To articulate TRIUMF’s ambitions for future accomplishments with respect to Science & Technology, People & Skills, and Innovation & Collaboration.
- To describe the long-term facilities development, consistent with TRIUMF’s Vision, Mission, and its Strategic Plan. The 20-year Vision will allow TRIUMF to update its facilities plan so that all future developments are consistent with the updated Master Plan.
- To involve and inform TRIUMF’s community and stakeholders. The plan provides clarity and a better understanding of the developments proposed at TRIUMF so that stakeholders have meaningful information to base their planning on and to engage us about their plans
The Vision will be developed in 3 phases:
- Phase 1: Visioning and listening (Fall 2020-Spring 2021)
- A broad spectrum of stakeholders will be engaged through various means to capture the full diversity of ideas and perspectives of our community.
August 2021 update:
- Phase 2: Convergence on vision framework (Spring 2021 – Summer 2021)
- Based on the input received, the high-level pillars of the vision and supporting elements will be developed and refined through consultations.
September 2021 update:
- Here is the slide deck that was presented at the 2021 Science Week Town Hall
- Phase 3: Finalization (Summer 2021 – Winter 2021)
- The 20-year Vision document will be drafted, refined, and the final version approved by the TRIUMF Board of Management.
The overall process for developing the 20-year Vision will be driven by an internal executive committee, the Planning Group, with contributions from a steering committee and a variety of topical groups. Learn more about the 20-year Vision Development Structural Elements here.
To help guide the 20-year Vision Development Plan, Topical Groups will be asked to solicit input to address the following questions in the context of their respective topical perspectives. The questions will also form the basis of an online survey to the broad community. Learn more about the 20-year Vision Development Guiding Questions here.